March 29, 2010

Welcome

Welcome to my blog regarding the current affairs in Malaysian chess, most of it being off the board. The type that people like to read. And argue about. Uh...before anything, I apologize if the blog title sounds too familiar to you. You've probably seen it before, but I couldn't resist plagiarizing it.

First, let me introduce myself. I'm obviously not going to divulge my identity to keep in line with the trend of shoutbox wars. But I will tell you, I'm a Malaysian and have been around since the early 90s. I have been a representative of Malaysia several times. I still play competitively, occasionally, today. My rating is, let's say higher than 1900, though I'm not going to mention the value of my FIDE rating for obvious anonymity reasons. I'm not trying to show off my chess prowess (OK maybe I am, but I can't really benefit from that can I?); in fact I think I'm a weak player, at least on a level outside of Malaysia. Instead, it's to let you know that my opinions are based on my experience and skill in chess, of which I know have much more than the average blogger (and definitely almost all anonymous commenters). In short, I know more about what I'm talking about than most people do. Call me arrogant, but that's the truth.

This blog is focused on nothing except my opinion on the crap that people throw around in the Malaysian chess scene today, tomorrow, the day after and so on. Regarding blog posts/comments posted by many Malaysian chess bloggers (which make up 90% of the aforementioned crap), I find that a lot of it is hastily put up, sometimes even copy-pasted from Wikipedia or a similar website, with little substance or logic behind their point, sometimes for the sake of a personal attack due to a grudge or just on impulse, abusing their popularity as a chess blogger. A common flaw is that all of them fail to look at the matter from another point of view. This blog is not going to contain much constructive criticism or ideas. Rather, you can expect to find "destructive criticism", and hopefully that missing point of view here. There is only my opinion, most of which will probably be negative and critical. You will notice that this blog has no shoutbox, and comments are disabled. The reason is simple: Your opinion doesn't matter! Especially if you're an insignificant face in the chess scene. If it's feedback, thank you but I already know what you want to say.

Now some of these posts may seem like personal attacks, but in a way they are not. I do not care who the person I comment about is. All I care about is what he says.

Alright, welcoming post aside, I hope you have an enjoyable time reading my blog!