October 1, 2010

Olympiad R10

For Round 10, we are paired with Wales. I still don't think Greg should be subbed in now. I would normally expect 3-1 with the team's strength. but given their current performance, I can only predict a 2.5-1.5 win for us, with Mas and Peter winning the point and Mok taking a half. Alternatively, we might get a draw since I'm not confident that Mas will be able to take the full point from his opponent.

But if Greg were to play...well, it depends on who is subbed out. If he does play, I am rather sure that Khai Boon will be rested, as I can safely speculate that his team is rather unhappy with his disastrous performance. My prediction would still remain the same in that case, unless Wales fields their 2009-rated 45-year old player.

All in all, I can safely say the chances are somewhat split 50-50 between a draw and a win. This match is going to depend on Mas' game.

So it was 2-2. I guess prediction is not one of my specialties. Greg played worse than I had expected, though it does not surprise me. As for Peter...I honestly don't know where he went wrong. His play looked somewhat innocent until his opponent had a forcing sequence coming out of nowhere, and then suddenly white had a strategically lost position. Mok and Mas simply outplayed their opponents.